I Saw This TikTok on Pinterest That My Friend Snapchatted Me Through Instagram

 

Every social media platform is a giant in its own way. Most of them have millions if not billions of users that log on daily and are actively engaging with the platform in some way. But each of them has a specific type of post or digital media that you will see the most. While the platforms may want to dominantly hold one form of media, it happens to be that users won’t always see what the platform wants them to. For example, I am going to describe my typical experience of what I interact with when logging on each social media site that I use. 


To begin I should tell you that I am not personally a fan of Twitter, I rarely use Facebook and I’ve literally just created a LinkedIn account. I’d have to say that my experience using the platforms I enjoy the most is as similar to the first version of the site as it gets. I don’t tend to see what is trending unless it is in the form of a viral video or some form of activism, but I like it that way.


The platforms that I use daily are Instagram and Snapchat, while TikTok, Pinterest and Facebook are my maybe once a week uses. I’ve fallen out of watching YouTube channels for nearly eight years now, which is probably surprising because I create YouTube style videos.


I am actually not the biggest fan of social media. I would say I’m a fairly private person. I don’t frequently post to my socials because I don’t care if other people know or don’t know what I’m doing. Therefore, my feed tends to be memes or viral videos on Instagram while I stray away from viewing people’s stories and reels. Snapchat is a mode of communication and because I actively know everyone I have added on Snapchat, this tends to be where I will post an occasional selfie or show that I’m having fun with friends. 


TikTok and Pinterest are funnily intersected as I find that TikTok tells me life hacks and Pinterest now feeds me TikTok videos of recipes, workouts and interior design (my favorite things to look at on Pinterest). Facebook is how I know what is going on with my family and family friends since they rarely show up on my Instagram feed. And YouTube is solely used for my questions of “how on earth do I do this?”


Needless to say, no site is what it wants to be anymore and TikTok will likely take them all over at some point as it is the hub of anything you can think of. I’m curious to see what the next social media giant might look like and if the existing platforms will try to copy it as Instagram has repeatedly done. 

Comments

  1. I also agree with you when you say you’re not the biggest fan of social media. I also rarely use it despite talking to family on Facebook and looking on Pinterest for interesting ideas. Also I think TikTok is huge right now and I’m sure it will pass and we will see something else like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to know that there is people like you out there who are not sucked into the realm of social media as much as most people are. However, I am one of those suckers. I most of the ones you mentioned on the daily. Twitter and TikTok are my go to. I also feel like most people around our age just use Facebook to keep in contact with family members because that is what I do on there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so interesting to me how TikTok has taken over so much of modern media. "Funny Instagram videos" are TikTok videos, snapchat does stories detailing the lives of creators on TikTok, and Pinterest is a hub for TikTok tutorials now. I believe TikTok will continue to grow in this manner as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We’ve All Got a Bad Case of FOMO

3, 2, 1, Go!

Senior Year Turned Senior Challenge