What it Means to be a Mentor

 What I'm going to be like as a mentor

Because I opted to not be an orientation leader this year, I applied to be a mentor for incoming students in the Dicke college of business. The mentorship program specifically looks for sophomore or higher student leaders of the business college. The background required for this includes leadership positions held in campus organizations, in the workplace or the general attitude of a leader in the classroom. Personally, this is something I really enjoy and hope to get even more involved in on campus this year. This week I found out that I was accepted as a mentor and I couldn’t be more excited to get involved! 


The Dicke mentorship program is incorporated in the freshman year class- Ethical Leadership, taught by the mentorship program director Dr. McHugh. I had the pleasure of being in her class this past spring (my sophomore year) and luckily was paired with an awesome mentor, leading me to get involved. The mentorship program holds several events in order to get to know the mentees, help de-stress them and have some fun. While it is a grade for them, it is also just another fun aspect of being a student in the Dicke college and I hope I can make it a fun experience for my mentee(s).


As a marketing major, I will most likely be paired with another marketing major. It is also possible that I will have more than one mentee. By pairing us together by major, I can better help steer my mentee in the right direction or at least provide them with some tips on classes to choose. I hope that from this experience, my mentee knows that I am here to help them whenever I can and that I am not just a mentor, but a friend as well. 


I cannot wait to dive in!


Comments

  1. I am going to be a mentor too! Maybe we will get to meet in person this fall! I am very excited to do this as well because the events gave me something to look forward to. It was basically one of the only in person event that we could go to so it was nice actually seeing people in person. Its going to be fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so cool! Looking forward to meeting you! We are going to kick butt as mentors! Cannot wait!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We’ve All Got a Bad Case of FOMO

3, 2, 1, Go!

Senior Year Turned Senior Challenge